Affiliate Disclosure: What’s up K9SuperHero? Some of the links contained on this website may indeed be affiliate links. Meaning, if you click on one of those links and make a purchase, I get a tiny commission at no additional cost to you. In fact, since I have working relationships with most of these companies you get bigger discounts and longer free trials than publicly offered.
Hello guys, Welcome to K9 Superheroes, my name is David. Today we are going to look at how to know what are the best bones for German Shepherds.
Bones are a good source of minerals and other nutrients and help satisfy your dog’s appetite. Chewing stimulates saliva enzymes and helps prevent plaque buildup on teeth and gum disease. And a dog chewing on a dog bone is less inclined to excessively scratch or lick his paws. However, many veterinarians believe it just isn’t worth the risk of serious injuries to give your dog a bone.
And when I was growing up, one of my dogs which was a breed of lurcher actually died due to a bone piercing the inside of his stomach wall.
If you are considering giving him a bone, here are some rules to follow for his safety.
- Do not give your dog the wrong kind of bone.
- Don’t give you dog-cooked bones of any kind.
- Do not let your dog chew any kind of bone into small pieces.
- Do not give your dog chunks of bone that can cause blockages.
- Don’t give your dog a bone if he has stomach problems.
- Don’t give your dog a bone to chew on if there’s another dog visiting.
- Offer raw meat bones.
- Take the bone away from your dog after 10-to-15 minutes, and put it in the refrigerator.
- Dispose of a bone after three or four days.
- Large and sturdy bones are the best bones for German Shepherds. One that will not splinter easily.
- Do supervise your dog when you give him a bone.
- Be an educated consumer
What are your experiences in giving your German Shepherd bones, let us know in the comment?
Make sure you check out our Article on 8 Proven German Shepherd Health Tips.
Also, make sure you check out our FB page for more German Shepherd content.
As always, thank you for reading and we will see you again soon.